January 22, 2013

Creative Challenge - Circle STAX Box and Card


The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to create with our Circle STAX.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers who have a project to share with you today. 

For this month's challenge, I've used both sizes of Circle STAX to create an easy gift box and matching card.

This box is easy to make in any size you like - using all the different sizes of Circle STAX! Read on, I'll post a tutorial at the end of this post.


For my flowers today, I've used felt and the Royal Roses Die-namics, as well as the new Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose.


I tied twine around my ribbon handle to create a faux pleated detail. I've decorated my items with white Liquid Pearls for a fun polka dot detail.


I've let the Leaf Filled Flourish hang over the sides of the lid of my box.

The same flourish overhangs the window I cut in the center of my card. I've trimmed away a small part of the flourish to allow it to frame the sentiment. Don't be afraid to alter your Die-namic cut pieces, the results can be fun!


The sentiment on the inside of my card is popped up on foam. I've also adhered a piece of white cardstock behind the window, cut with a slightly smaller circle to create a nice border.


I've used the same patterned paper on the inside of my card so it will show through the window.


The lid of the giftbox is constructed in the same way as the base of the box. A short squat box would look fantastic as a mini hat box!

Here are the wonderful My Favorite Things goodies I've used today:




Here's how to make my circular gift box. Experiment with different lengths of cardstock, as well as different depths for a completely different look! Click on the photos for a closer look!

I started with a piece of cardstock, 11" by 4.5"


Score each side at 1/2"


Cut small triangles as shown to create little tabs. These will form the base of the box.


Adhere red line tape to each tab.


Curve your cardstock to create a cylinder. Adhere the tab a small way inside the box, if you do it on the edge, you'll end up with a tear drop shape.


Use tape to finish forming the cylinder. Don't worry if you get a crease or two in your box, you can cover them with paper when decorating!


Curve the small tabs inward.


Use an appropriate sized Circle STAX to cut the base for your box.


Center your box on the base. I layered on a second colour for added interest and strength.


To create the box lid, repeat the steps with a second piece of cardstock the same length, and whatever depth you desire.


Wrap the lid piece around the box when adhering the side tab to make sure it will slide on and off easily.


Adhere an appropriate sized circle to finish the box lid. It's time to decorate!


I used ribbon to attach a handle to my box.


To get the embossed edge all the way around your sentiment piece, cut with a Fishtail Flag STAX, stamp your sentiment, then lay the piece back inside the Die-namic before cutting again.


You'll end up with a perfectly embossed and centered piece! Thanks for visiting today!
 
Stamps: You Make My Day (MFT Stamps) Paper: Pretty Party (Crate Paper) Ink: Premium Dye Ink in Razzleberry (MFT Stamps)  Dies: MFT Die-namics - Layered Heart Border, Circle STAX, Fishtail Flags, Mini Royal Roses, Large Royal Rose, Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose, Leaf Filled Flourish (MFT Stamps) Other: MFT Felt - Sno Cone, Razzleberry; MFT Ribbon - Razzleberry; Twine, Cord Brads, Liquid Pearls

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Love your projects. And thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I am certainly gonna try this one, totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty, thanks for the tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a GORGEOUS set! The box is amazing! I love the white dots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Sarah what a beautiful card and gift box...thanks for the beautiful tutorial! That is absolutely incredible that you constructed the "box" all from paper...love the sweet card too!
    Hugs,t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your set Sarah. The gift box is so sweet and I love your pretty color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVELY!!!! You are soooo creative and your projects just leave me astounded!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cool, think I'll have to get a die cutter that embosses as well, looks like there are some things my Silhouette just can't do!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!