January 20, 2010

Just Add Ice Cream!

When our car suddenly and ungracefully gave out on us a couple of weeks ago, some friends lent us their car to go traipsing around the countryside looking for a new one. When they wouldn't let us refill the petrol tank (that's friendship folks - especially with these petrol prices!) I decided I'd make them a gift the whole family would love. So here it is - Ice cream sundaes in a box!
Well....almost! There's no ice cream in here but all the yummy toppings are there - just add ice cream!
This box is constructed exactly the same way as the base for my Clear Sleeve Gift Box. I started with a peice of 12x12 Baja Breeze card stock, sliced a couple of inches off one end, then scored at 3" all around. I covered the box with papers from the Walk in the Park pack, and the inside of the box is reinforced with Cameo Coral card stock.

I made a belly band using two strips of Cameo Coral card, punched with the Scallop Border punch and more of the lovely paper from that pack layered on top. My ribbon treatment was completely inspired by Joanne - I've used buttons on top of ribbon before, but love how she ties them on. All the ribbons on this project were discount store finds. The Baja Breeze Corduroy Button is tied on with linen thread.

The sweet label is from the Sweet Sampler set (retired). I have to admit I bought the set for that stamp alone, to use on all kinds of homemade goodies. But all the stamps in that set are so cute! I cut my image out and matted it using oval nestabilities, Baja Breeze card and dimensionals. It's attached to the box with more dimensionals.

That's it for the box - I kept it pretty simple knowing there would be lots of yummy things inside to look at.

Inside the box I've put a yummy bottle of chocolate orange topping, pink wafers, chocolate cream filled wafer straws, chocolate drops, chocolate hail (are you seeing a chocolate pattern here?) rainbow strands and mini marshmallows.

It's important to use food safe bags when creating a gift like this. I have lots on hand for chocolate making/gifting. Also please be aware of any possible food allergies - this wouldn't be a nice gift if one child couldn't participate!


I kept the bottle simple as well. I covered the rather garish label with designer paper, but it's not attached to the bottle itself so it can be slipped off and the information underneath is still accessible. I inked part of the Enjoy image from Sweet Sampler using a blender pen and my Baja Breeze inkpad (as there is no marker in this colour). I often ink stamps using In Colours like this and it works great!

The sentiment was punched out with the Small Oval punch, then layered with the Large Oval and Scalloped Oval punches. I punched a hole in the top, and attached it to the bow with more linen thread.

Of course I had to make a wee card to go in the box. This started with a Love Note and envelope. The sentiment is from Lovely Labels and is layered using the plain and Scalloped Circle punches. I used a white gel pen to dot around the scallops.

Tip: If you're having trouble getting a clear image from a bold stamp like this one - first try cleaning your stamp then reinking and stamping. Still having trouble? Ink your stamp with Versamark, stamp onto scrap paper a couple of times, then reink and stamp. Voila! You can also emboss using clear embossing powder and any colour of classic ink using this method!

Hopefully the family has as much fun making sundaes together as I think they will!

It's an exciting time for stampers here in New Zealand - Sale-a-bration starts next Monday! More about that soon, in the meantime, don't forget to check out my 'I Love You, Man' class.

Have a creative day,

Some supplies available from Stampin' Up! Email me for purchasing details.

6 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum. Did I say yum. Oh my goodness Sarah, this is such a fantastic gift. You have such a talent for all things crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic and beautiful gift! Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wish I was the recipient of this truly stunning gift. You are one talented lady. I am so pleased I have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous gift ... and a fabulous idea for a family. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and thoughtful gift! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an amazing gift! Love the colours and details!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!